Find the Best Labor Day Mattress Sale of the Summer
Want to compare the best Labor Day sales on mattresses this year without wasting hours hunting through dozens of ads and locating specs? WTBB has you covered with our 2016 guide to Labor Day mattress deals.
We’re researching all of the top offers from major brands to bring you the latest information all in one place. So, this Labor Day, spend more time enjoying your holiday and less time losing sleep over mattresses. Finding the best Labor Day Mattress Sale can be tricky, but satisfying if you get it right and find the best mattress deal.
A good mattress is a long-term investment in your health and well-being. These are some of the best sales of the year for mattresses. Invest in yourself at one of the wisest times to do so. We’ll show you all you need to know to get a great price on a mattress during these great sales.
Best Labor Day Sales on Mattresses
Based on the available 2016 Labor Day mattress sales, we’ve highlighted a couple top values among the different mattress types and price ranges if you’re looking for a quick pick. These beds all offer better than average quality, value and do well in owner reviews.
Further down, we list all available deals from major online and store retailers if you want to see more.
Memory Foam Picks:
Memory foam mattresses have the highest rates of customer satisfaction and are available in most mattress stores and online. Here are our top 3 picks from this year’s Labor Day memory foam deals. Selection is based on specifications and quality versus price, reviews, and guarantees.
- Amerisleep Revere Bed Queen Mattress at Amerisleep ($1249)
- Macybed Memory Foam Queen Mattress, Tight Top Luxury Firm or Plush, Online Only at Macy’s ($587)
- Sealy Posturepedic C Port Cartier Luxury Plush Queen Mattress at Sleepy’s ($899.99)
Very close to memory foam mattresses in customer satisfaction rates, latex mattresses are a little harder to find. They can be compressed to ship easily, so online purchases are convenient. Here are our top 2 picks from this year’s Labor Day latex mattress deals. Selection is based on specifications and quality versus price, reviews, and guarantees. There are not many retailers that have announced sales on latex beds, so selection is somewhat limited.
Latex Mattress Picks:
- SonomaBed Certified Organic Latex Queen Mattress at Astrabeds ($1549)
- Orthopedic 8-inch 3-layer Queen Latex Mattress at Overstock (521.99)
Coil, or innerspring mattresses are widely available in stores and online. They have the lowest customer satisfaction rates of all the mattresses, but tend to be cheaper. Here are our top 5 picks from this year’s Labor Day innerspring and innerspring hybrid deals. Selection is based on specifications and quality versus price, reviews, and guarantees.
- Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm Queen Mattress at Sleepy’s ($699.99)
- Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Firm Queen Mattress at 1800Mattress ($1174.99)
- Serta Perfect Sleeper Greenshire Luxury Plush Queen Mattress Set at Sleepy’s ($899.99)
- Beautyrest Recharge Alayna Luxury Firm Pillowtop Queen Mattress Set at Macy’s ($897)
Like stores, deals tend to be concentrated on the week before the sales, though Overstock and others may run deals several weeks in advance. Some like Serta and Tempurpedic tend to mirror offers of their retail partners, but others like Amerisleep, US Mattress or 1800Mattress may have online exclusive deals and big discounts.Online retailers usually participate in Labor Day mattress sales, and may even offer better deals than retail stores due to stiffer competition and lower overhead expenses. You won’t have to haggle or negotiate with most online dealers as you often do in showrooms, also.
Labor Day Sales Online
Online retailers may also have a wider selection of options and sizes than physical shops, and they have the convenience factor as well, but just be sure to verify return policies.
Here are the online mattress stores and brands promoting Labor Day mattress sales:
Amerisleep is a brand of plant-based memory foam mattresses that sells direct online.
Online at Amerisleep.com from 9/4 to 9/7.
- $250 of all Amerisleep mattresses
- 90 day zero-risk trial
- 50% off all Ergo Invincible adjustable beds (with mattress)
Astrabeds sells all natural customizable latex mattresses and adjustable beds solely on the internet.
Online at Astrabeds.com from 9/4 to 9/7.
- $250 of all Astrabeds mattresses
- $500 off all Ergostar adjustable beds (with mattress)
1-800-Mattress retails several major brand beds and also has smaller and house brands of memory foam, springs, and latex.
Online at 1800Mattress.com, dates unspecified.
- $349.99 – Sealy Firm Queen Mattress
- $399.99 – Classic Sleep Avanti 8 inch Firm Memory Foam Mattress Queen Set
- $431.99 – Sealy Posturepedic Classic Series Plush Queen Mattress
- $512.99 – Sealy Posturepedic Classic Series Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop Queen Mattress
- $575.99 – Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Plush Queen Mattress
- $854.99 – Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Plush King Mattress
- $1174.99 – Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Firm Queen Mattress
- $1151.99 – Beautyrest World Class Recharge Luxury Firm Queen Mattress
- $1574.99 – Simmons Beautyrest Black Alexia Extra Firm Queen Mattress
Overstock is known for selling already discounted and closeout beds from their house lines and major brands, but they usually place extra discounts on selected mattresses and offer some additional savings during holidays.
- $292.49 – Select Luxury E.C.O. All Natural Latex Medium Firm 8-inch Twin-Size Hybrid Mattress
- $359.99 – Comfort Dreams Select-A-Firmness 11-inch Queen-Size Memory Foam Mattress
- $449.99 – ComforPedic from Beautyrest 8-inch Twin-Size Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- $557.99 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Incite Euro Top Queen-size Mattress Set
- $611.99 – Beautyrest Recharge ‘Maddyn’ Luxury Firm Queen-Size Mattress Set
- $719.99 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Incite Euro Top King-Size Mattress Set
- $1232.99 – Nature’s Rest Allure Firm Latex King-Size Mattress Set
Serta sells various mattresses online and in retail partner stores.
Online at Serta.com, dates unspecified.
- Free box springs with mattress purchase or up to $1000 off select adjustable beds.
Tempurpedic also sells direct online as well as through their retail partners.
Online at Tempurpedic.com from 8/19 to 9/13 while supplies last.
- Save up to $500 on select mattresses + adjustable bases.
Labor Day Sales in Stores
Brick-and-mortar stores usually begin offering Labor Day deals in the week or weekend leading up to Labor Day Monday, which is September 7 this year. As they begin being posted, we’ll get them up here for you.
Major retailers like Macy’s, Wal-Mart and Sears will usually put out newspaper ads the Sunday or Wednesday before, and they may also have exclusive regional or online deals advertised in other ways. National mattress chains like Mattress Firm and Sleepy’s will generally start sales before Labor Day weekend as well. As they roll out, we will be sorting and posting them here for you.
Here are the national retail stores promoting Labor Day mattress deals in 2016. Many of the offers will also be available on their websites as well, but not all.
Typically, Macy’s has a large mix of many different brands, including their own Macybed at discounted prices.
Online at Macys.com and in stores starting 9/2.
- $397 – Beautyrest Classic Erin Firm Tight Top Queen Mattress Set
- $287 – Macybed Memory Foam Mattress, Tight Top Firm or Plush, Online Only
- $497 – Sealy Posturepedic Clearbrook Cushion Firm Eurotop Queen Mattress Set
- $697 – Beautyrest Recharge Allie Firm Tight Top Queen Mattress Set
- $897 – Sealy Posturepedic Market Street Plush Tight Top Queen Mattress Set
- $897 – Beautyrest Recharge Alayna Luxury Firm Pillowtop Queen Mattress Set
- $587 – Macybed Memory Foam Queen Mattress, Tight Top Luxury Firm or Plush, Online Only
Mattress Firm usually places a select handful of innerspring and memory foam sets on sale, and has a few doorbuster options at very low prices.
Online at MattressFirm.com and in stores now through 9/13.
- $147.00 – Sealy East Hills Firm Tight Top Queen Mattress
- $189.99 – Hampton & Rhodes 200 Queen Set
- $287.00 – Macybed Memory Foam Queen Mattress, Tight Top Plush, Online Only
- $299.99 Sealy Parsons queen mattress set
- $399.99 Sealy PosturePedic Ashlin Queen Mattress Set
- $599.00 – Beautyrest Classic Zoey Plush Tight Top Queen Mattress Set
- $1072.00 – iComfort by Serta Insight Everfeel Memory Foam Firm Queen Mattress Set
Like Macy’s, the Sears Labor Day sales tend to have a broad mix of affordable and higher-end brands, including names like Sealy, Serta, and Tempurpedic.
Online and in select stores starting 9/3.
- Up to 60% off all mattresses and sets
- Free delivery with orders $599 or more
Sleepy’s labor day mattress sale usually includes a few promotional mattresses and innerspring and memory foam deals from major brands. They usually feature the same online and in store deals.
Online at sleepys.com and in stores, dates unspecified.
- Free boxspring with all Serta mattresses
- ½ off every mattress excluding Tempurpedic
- $299.99 – Sertapedic Reidsville Firm Queen Mattress Set
- $379.99 – Sealy Posturepedic Alpenglow Cushion Firm Queen Mattress
- $599.99 – Sertapedic Brookstone Gel Queen Mattress Set
- $699.99 – Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm Queen Mattress
- $799.99 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Dunlake Luxury Firm Queen Mattress Set
- $899.99 – Sealy Posturepedic C Port Cartier Luxury Plush Queen Mattress
- $1074.99 – I-Series Geniality Firm Queen Mattress Set
- $1099.99 – Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Plush Queen Mattress
- $1174.99 – Stearns & Foster Signature Cape May Luxury Firm Euro Pillowtop Queen Mattress
- $1274.99 – iComfort Aura EFX Queen Mattress Set
- $1774.99 – Serta I-Series Profiles Super Pillowtop Queen Mattress Set
- $1974.99 – iComfort Brilliant EFX Queen Mattress
The Walmart Labor Day sale 2016 will likely feature small discounts on their popular line Spa Sensations and other discount memory foam and innerspring lines. Sealy and Simmons closeouts or special offers may also be featured. Sales in the past have been online and in stores.
- $159 – Spa Sensations 6” Memory Foam Queen Mattress
- $189 – Spa Sensations 8″ Memory Foam Queen Mattress
- $229 – Slumber 1 – 10” Dream Pillow Top Queen Mattress
- $330 – Signature Sleep Memoir 12″ Memory Foam Queen Mattress
- $399 – Sealy Posturepedic Estill Springs Plush Queen Mattress
Labor Day Mattress Guide
Mattresses are larger purchases and should last for years, so most people don’t shop for them too often. One top of sifting through new brands and technologies, it can be overwhelming trying to find the right deal for you amidst the vast amount of sales near a holiday. This guide should ease your burden by simplifying things a little. Here is a short list of some things that you should be mindful of while bargain hunting.
Things to Watch For
- Discounts vs Real Prices – Some retailers may hike “original/retail/MSRP” prices far beyond what a mattress would normally sell for in order to exaggerate the discount during a sale. In the retail world, this is known as “price anchoring,” because retailers try to anchor a perception of value with a high price, making discounts seem larger. Always compare the mattress specifications with others on the market and look at the value versus the markdown percentage.
- Fine Print – It’s always wise to check fine print for deals and ads, because some terms may not be clear. For example, some discounts may only be in the form of gift cards or store credit, or you may have to mail in for rebate offers within a specific period of time. Other deals may require the purchase of accessories, or may be limited to specific areas/times.
- Lack of Information – If the retailer can’t tell you about what’s in the mattress (basics like coil count, layer thickness, foam density, etc), than it is hard to comparison shop and know if you found a good value. Be wary of retailers or brands that don’t want to provide you basic specification details. Ask questions and be persistent on the points that matter most to you.
- Promotional Quality – Many stores will offer special low-priced beds just during sales to grab attention. Sometimes these can be good deals, other times they may be very low quality and not designed for regular use or to stand up for more than a couple years (versus 8 to 10 for average beds).
- Warranties & Returns – The other thing you always want to watch for are warranty and return policy terms, as some brands may change their policies during sales, and these guarantees also play a role in the overall value of a mattress.
We hope this guide to Labor Day mattress sales makes your holiday shopping a little easier! If you want more information on beds, you might also enjoy some of WTBB’s other guides like our best mattress picks of summer 2016 or how to choose a mattress based on your sleep habits.
Let us know below if you have any questions about Labor Day mattress deals or if you have any tips for fellow shoppers!