Find the Best Labor Day Mattress Sale of the Summer
Want to find the best Labor Day mattress sale this year without wasting hours hunting through dozens of ads and locating specs? WTBB has you covered with our 2019 guide to Labor Day mattress deals.
Labor Day mattress sales are a perfect time to save on a new bed, but who wants to spend hours scanning ads and researching beds on a holiday weekend? Well, we have your back. In this guide we’re looking at the most popular and best stores and breaking down the beds to help you make an educated buying decision and still have spare time to enjoy your weekend.
We’re researching all of the best offers from major brands to bring you the latest information all in one place. Our reviews are based on consumer reviews and research on what consumers find most important when determining satisfaction with a mattress: things like back support, durability, and coolness, for example. Here’s a quick recap of our recommendations for the best mattress this year based on these factors.
Our Recommended Labor Day Mattress Sales
|Brand||Features||Returns & Warranty||Price (Queen)|
|Amerisleep AS3 Mattress||$1,199|
| Beautyrest Black Hybrid|
Alcove Plush Mattress Set
- Amerisleep AS3 Mattress – This bed from Amerisleep.com uses innovative Celliant material in the cover, which has a few scientifically-proven benefits like improving sleep quality and pain. It also uses advanced, high-quality foams made with plant-based materials that respond quickly to movement and hold up over time. We featured it here due to these benefits, its excellent value compared to other memory foam brands even “budget” options that may be priced slightly lower, and the line has an extensive range of very positive reviews over several years indicating long-term quality and consistency.
- Beautyrest Black Hybrid Black Alcove Plush Set – This mattress at Mattress Firm represents a pretty good value among a sea of very similar hybrid spring mattresses on sale this holiday. It has a pocketed coil design, better at providing balanced support than other coil types. It has a thicker layer of memory foam than most others in the price range, and above average reviews for spring beds. The price point is slightly higher than others on sale, but the combination of quality and reviews is fair.
A good mattress is a long-term investment in your health and well-being. In this guide, we’re looking at some of the best sales of the year for mattresses. Invest in yourself at one of the wisest times to do so.
Finding the best Labor Day Mattress Sale can be tricky, but satisfying if you get it right and find the best mattress deal. We’ll show you all you need to know to get a great price on a mattress during these great sales. This Labor Day, spend more time enjoying your holiday and less time losing sleep over mattresses.
Best Labor Day Sales on Mattresses
Based on the available 2019 Labor Day mattress sales, we’ve highlighted a couple best values among the different mattress types and price ranges if you’re looking for a quick recommendation. These beds all offer better than average quality, value and do well in owner reviews.
Further down, we list all available deals from major online and store retailers if you want to see more.
Our Spring and Memory Foam Mattress Review Process
Wading through the sea of beds and brands out there can get downright confusing, with every company claiming to have the best product. There’s also a lot of intentional obfuscation out there designed to make it hard to directly compare things like foam and coil quality, which can make it difficult to know if you’re getting a good value or not.
We produce these guides with this in mind, doing the research and aiming to break down options in an easily digestible way. Our reviews are based on standardized factors, using the factors most closely related to satisfaction when we rate and compare beds. Here are a few of the most common factors consumers find important, according to research by Bed Times Magazine, which play a big role in our analysis:
- Comfort – 89%
- Back support – 81%
- No sinking – 73%
- No noise – 63%
- Stays cool – 60%
- Contours to body – 56%
- Motion isolation – 47%
In the reviews below, we’ll highlight a few of the stand-out options this summer as well as explain why we chose these mattresses. Further down, you’ll also find a full list of all the sales we scanned.
Best Memory Foam Mattress Recommendations:
Memory foam mattresses have the highest rates of customer satisfaction and are available in most mattress stores and online. Here are our 3 highest recommendations from this year’s Labor Day memory foam deals. Selection is based on specifications and quality versus price, reviews, and guarantees.
- Amerisleep AS3 Plant-Based Memory Foam Mattress from Amerisleep.com ($1,199)
- Serta iComfort Blue 500 Memory Foam Set from Serta.com ($1,799)
|Amerisleep AS3||Pressure-relieving foam that uses partially plant-based materials for a comfortable, supportive, eco-friendly product with 100-night trial and 20-year warranty||$1199|
|iComfort Blue 500 Mattress||Made by the established Serta brand, this model is available to try in multiple big-box retailers and department stores||$1450|
|Casper Wave Layer||Casper's most luxurious model, the Wave utilizes zoned support and latex foam.||$2295|
|Purple .3||Purple's unique hyper-elastic polymer is combined with encased coils for comfort and support.||$2199|
Best Innerspring/Hybrid Recommendations:
Coil, or innerspring mattresses are widely available in stores and online. They have the lowest customer satisfaction rates of all the mattresses, but tend to be cheaper. Here are our 5 recommendations from this year’s Labor Day innerspring and innerspring hybrid deals. Selection is based on specifications and quality versus price, reviews, and guarantees.
- Serta iComfort Hybrid Vantage II Firm Queen Mattress Set from Mattress Firm ($1,299)
- Stearns & Foster Hustonville Luxury Firm Tight Top Queen Set from Sears ($1,349)
- Beautyrest Black Hybrid Plus Alcove Plush Mattress Set Mattress Firm ($2,649)
|Serta iComfort Hybrid Vantage II Firm||Stearns & Foster Hustonville Tight Top Set||Beautyrest Black Hybrid Plus Alcove Set|
|Comfort Layer||3" foam|
0.5" gel memory foam
?" gel memory foam
|3" gel memory foam|
|Support Layer||1008 dual pocket coils||1504 pocket coils||850 pocket coils|
|Targeted Support Areas||NA||NA||NA|
|Third Party Certifications?||Certipur foams||NA||Certipur foams|
|Trial Length||100 Days||60 Days||100 Days|
|Warranty Length||10 Years||10 Years||10 Years|
|Warranty Specs||?||1.5"+ sagging||1.5"+ sagging|
|Customer Ratings (3+ Stars)||87%||100%||88%|
|Retailer||Mattress Firm||Sears||Mattress Firm|
Like stores, deals tend to be concentrated on the week before the sales, though Overstock and others may run ads several weeks in advance. Some like Serta and Sealy tend to mirror offers of their retail partners, but others like Amerisleep, US Mattress or 1800Mattress may have online exclusive deals and big discounts. Online retailers usually participate in Labor Day mattress sales, and may even offer better deals than retail stores due to stiffer competition and lower overhead expenses. You won’t have to haggle or negotiate with most online dealers as you often do in showrooms, also.
Labor Day Sales Online
Online retailers may also have a wider selection of options and sizes than physical shops, and they have the convenience factor as well, but just be sure to verify return policies.
Here are the online mattress stores and brands promoting Labor Day mattress sales:
Amerisleep is a brand of plant-based memory foam mattresses that sells direct online.
Online at Amerisleep.com, dates from 8/29 to 9/4.
- $200 off any plant-based memory foam mattress and up to two free pillows with code “LD200”. Includes free shipping and free returns.
Casper sells three mattresses online and in select retail partner stores.
Online at Casper.com, until 9/3.
- 10% off mattress orders
Tuft & Needle
Tuft & Needle sells two non-memory foam mattresses online and in select retail stores.
Online at tuftandneedle.com, until 9/4.
- Spend $800 and save $80 or spend $1250 and save $150
Purples sells one non-memory foam mattresses and three innerspring coil mattresses online and in select retail stores.
Online at purple.com, dates not specified.
- Free sheets with any mattress purchase
Serta sells various mattresses online and in retail partner stores.
Online at Serta.com, dates unspecified.
- Up to $200 instant savings on select iComfort Mattresses, on the Blue Max 1000 and 3000 models
- Up to $500 off select adjustable bases or a free boxspring on select Queen sets and Split King sets
Labor Day Sales in Stores
Brick-and-mortar stores usually begin offering Labor Day deals in the week or weekend leading up to Labor Day Monday, which is September 7 this year. As they begin being posted, we’ll get them up here for you.
Major retailers like Macy’s, Wal-Mart and Sears will usually put out newspaper ads the Sunday or Wednesday before, and they may also have exclusive regional or online deals advertised in other ways. National mattress chains like Mattress Firm and Sleepy’s will generally start sales before Labor Day weekend as well. As they roll out, we will be sorting and posting them here for you.
Here are the national retail stores promoting Labor Day mattress deals in 2019. Many of the offers will also be available on their websites as well, but not all.
Typically, Macy’s has a large mix of many different brands, including their own Macybed at discounted prices.
Online at Macys.com and in stores, from 8/29 – 9/3.
- Free adjustable base with luxury mattress purchase.
Mattress Firm usually places a select handful of innerspring and memory foam sets on sale, and has a few doorbuster options at very low prices.
Online at MattressFirm.com and in stores, dates unspecified.
- $249 – $999 – Hampton and Rhodes mattresses
- $447 – $4,999 – Simmons mattress sets, including Beautyrest, Beautyrest Black, Beautyrest Black Hybrid and Beautyrest Black Memory Foam models
- $999 – Beautyrest Recharge Bay Spring 14” Pillow Top Queen Mattress
- $1,499 – Serta iSeries Hybrid 300 Plush Queen Mattress
Like Macy’s, the Sears Labor Day sales tend to have a broad mix of affordable and higher-end brands, including names like Sealy, Serta, and Tempurpedic.
Online and in select stores, dates run through 9/10.
- Up to 60% off select mattresses
- $614 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Elmstead Queen Mattress
- $799 – Beautyrest Smart Motion 1.0 Queen Adjustable Base
- Free Boxsprings on Serta iComfort mattresses and Beautyrest Silver Hybrid mattresses
- $200 Sears card with Beautyrest Black Katerina and Mariela mattress sets
Sleepy’s labor day mattress sale usually includes a few promotional mattresses and innerspring and memory foam deals from major brands. They usually feature the same online and in-store offers.
Online at sleepys.com and in stores, dates unspecified.
- $199 – Sleepy’s Basic 8.5″ Firm Innerspring Queen Mattress
- $249 – Sleepy’s Rest 10″ Firm Innerspring Queen Mattress Only
- $299 – Beautyrest Greenwood 9.5” Firm Queen Spring Mattress Only
- $399 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury 8” Plush Memory Foam Mattress Only
- $437 – Hampton and Rhodes 8” Cool Gel Foam Queen Mattress Set
- Free boxspring with Beautyrest Recharge mattresses
- Free boxspring with Serta iComfort mattresses
- 30% off Eclipse Gel Memory Foam Mattresses, from $679 in queen
Labor Day Mattress Guide
Mattresses are larger purchases and should last for years, so most people don’t shop for them too often. On top of sifting through new brands and technologies, it can be overwhelming trying to find the right deal for you amidst the vast amount of sales near a holiday.
This guide should ease your burden by simplifying things a little. Here is a short list of some things that you should be mindful of while bargain hunting.
Discounts vs Real Prices
Some retailers may hike “original/retail/MSRP” prices far beyond what a mattress would normally sell for in order to exaggerate the discount during a sale. In the retail world, this is known as “price anchoring,” because retailers try to anchor a perception of value with a high price, making discounts seem larger. Always compare the mattress specifications with others on the market and look at the value versus the markdown percentage.
It’s always wise to check the fine print for deals and ads, because some terms may not be clear. For example, some discounts may only be in the form of gift cards or store credit, or you may have to mail in for rebate offers within a specific period of time. Other offers may require the purchase of accessories or may be limited to specific areas/times.
Lack of Information
If the retailer can’t tell you about what’s in the mattress (basics like coil count, layer thickness, foam density, etc) than it is hard to comparison shop and know if you found a good value. Be wary of retailers or brands that don’t want to provide you basic specification details. Ask questions and be persistent on the points that matter most to you.
Many stores will offer special low-priced beds just during sales to grab attention. Sometimes these can be good deals, other times they may be very low quality and not designed for regular use or to stand up for more than a couple years (versus 8 to 10 for average beds).
Warranties & Returns
The other thing you always want to watch for is warranty and return policy terms, as some brands may change their policies during sales, and these guarantees also play a role in the overall value of a mattress.
We hope this guide to Labor Day mattress sales makes your holiday shopping a little easier! If you want more information on beds, you might also enjoy some of WTBB’s other guides like our best mattresses of summer 2019 or how to choose a mattress based on your sleep habits.
Let us know below if you have any questions about Labor Day mattress sale listings or if you have any tips for fellow shoppers!