Get prepared to find the best Black Friday mattress deals with our guide to 2015 holiday shopping. We have compiled a list of tips that will help you find the lowest prices and select the best mattresses so you’re ready to hit the ground running the minute the biggest sales of the year begin. Make this Black Friday a stress-free holiday and get ready to sleep better with the following tips.
Black Friday Mattress Shopping Tips
Buying a new bed is often stressful. Having to juggle figuring out what type you actually want to sleep on for the next several years while cutting through sales claims and seeking out the best deals is a hefty endeavor.
Mattress shopping during a busy holiday when trying to find gifts as well only adds to the noise. However, Black Friday mattress deals typically feature the best prices of the year and savings can be well worth the wait. By knowing what to look for and planning ahead, you can take a advantage of the sales and leave the stress behind. Your reward? A new bed or mattress at a great price.
Why Buy a Mattress on Black Friday?
The main reason people shop for beds on the busiest shopping day of the year is, of course, the potential for big savings. Nearly all brands and retailers have some type of promotion ranging from price discounts to free pillows or other add-ons, and often these specials do represent better values than mattress sales at other times of the year.
Several brands only offer discounts once or twice a year, often coinciding with Thanksgiving weekend. Another important point to mention is that retailers often extend specials on homegoods like mattresses throughout Black Friday and the following weekend, so even if you are busy buying gifts in the morning, you can still score a new bed later.
When to Start Looking for Black Friday Sales
Even though Thanksgiving isn’t here yet, Black Friday mattress deals have already began trickling out. Retailer websites and third party ad forums start advertising promotions one to three weeks prior, so there is no need to wait until turkey day to check the ads. Start getting a feel for what the deals are as early as possible, and make notes as you browse ads. This will help you develop a game plan well before the big day, and make comparing the values offered by different retailers easier.
It is a good idea to research the models on sale before purchasing to learn about the quality of materials used in the beds. There are many different types of mattresses comprised of a number of different foams, coils and other materials. Go over owner reviews and see what people are saying about the beds or mattresses you’re looking at.
Where to Find Black Friday Mattress Deals
There are many sources for Black Friday mattress deals, including:
- Ad Websites – Websites like BlackFriday.com and BFads.net feature ad scans from major nationwide retailers like Macy’s, Sears, Target, and Walmart. Having many of the deals in one place if very convenient and can save time. Use the internet and find deals from you couch!
- Coupon & Deal Websites – Websites like RetailMeNot.com, CouponMountain.com and DealNews.com host current promo deals and coupon codes posted by retailers and customers. Blogs like BlackFridayMattress.org also aggregate mattress deals from several sources making life easier for mattress shoppers.
- Retailer Websites – Going straight to the source is probably the most accurate way to find Black Friday mattress deals, however usually retailers don’t post their ads live on their sites until the day of the sale. Depending on the retailer, they can be difficult to locate, also.
- Newsletters – Signing up for retailers’ email newsletters can be a good way to find about upcoming deals and to get exclusive holiday offers. This is especially useful if you already have a brand in mind.
- News – Print newspapers feature Black Friday ads from many major national and local brands, usually in the Thanksgiving and Friday morning editions. Online news sites also usually offer coverage of local deals and receive retailer press releases with deal information.
Both online and local brick-and-mortar retailers participate in Black Friday sales, and online retailers also extend specials to Cyber Monday, which is the Monday following Thanksgiving. Many online mattress retailers and manufacturers offer lower prices year round than showrooms due to lower overhead costs, so comparing local to online Black Friday mattress deals can be worthwhile. Not to mention, you don’t have to leave your house to shop online.
What to Expect
Each year Black Friday mattress deals vary somewhat, but usually there a few types of promotions and discounts you can expect to see. Here are the types of sales you’ll see this year:
- Big markdowns on promotional mattresses. Sears, Mattress Firm and other retailers often feature a couple “doorbuster” deals advertised as anywhere from 50-75% off MSRP. They are often available only during the sale in limited quantities, and since the model names may be part of a one-time only deal, they can be difficult to research, compare or find reviews on. Promotional mattresses also may have less favorable warranty or return terms than regular models. Be sure to ask about specifications (such as coil count and layer materials in a spring bed, or foam density and layer thickness in a memory foam bed) and compare this to other similar models to see how they stack up.
- Rebate offers. Retailers are prohibited from discounting some brands like Tempurpedic and Serta iComfort, but may instead offer mail-in rebate offers for small savings after the sale. Some may also seek to boost later sales by offering discounts and rebates in the form of store gift cards or future discounts with Black Friday purchases.
- Free boxsprings or foundations. This was a popular incentive during Labor Day mattress sales, and early indications signal that many retailers will continue these deals for Black Friday. Boxsprings can cost anywhere from $100 to $500 purchased separately, so this can be a good value for shoppers who need a full mattress set.
- More add-ons. Additional items retailers might include to sweeten Black Friday mattress deals include bedding offers and pillows that could add a retail value of anywhere from $50 to $300 depending on the products.
- Package deals. During the last mattress holiday, some retailers focused on package deals, such as discounts on multiple beds or on mattress and adjustable bed sets.
- Free shipping or delivery. Another popular value-added offer that will likely be found at many stores is free shipping and delivery, which could save buyers $100 or more. Online retailers may eliminate shipping charges or offer expedited shipping, while local stores may offer free delivery and old mattress removal (just be sure you like the new bed before you let them take the old one!).
Finding the Right Mattress
Don’t just buy any bed to get a good deal – make sure it is something you truly will be happy with for years to come. Compare quality and make sure the bed matches your idea of comfort. A study conducted by RTI showed that majority of people had difficulty choosing a comfortable mattress in a showroom setting, so don’t base your decision on a 10 minute test. Spend time before the sale researching and trying beds, and look online for owner reviews to see what others have to say about the brand or models you are considering. Get educated about pros and cons of different bed types and what sets different options apart in terms of quality and benefits so you won’t get sold a dud.
It is also important to check on warranties and in home trials before choosing a bed. Even during Black Friday mattress deals, a company should stand firmly behind their product. They should provide at least a 30 day period in which you can return the mattress with minimal fees, because it can take a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new bed. These trial periods are the best way to get to know a bed, in your own home and for many hours.
Warranties should cover the core components of the bed with a coverage period on par with comparable options. A 20-year limited warranty is fairly standard for mid-range and higher mattresses of all types, but you want to pay closer attention to the full-coverage terms. For spring beds, usually 5-10 years of full coverage is offered on sagging over 1.5″ deep. Latex and memory foam beds usually have 10-15 years of full coverage with higher-end brands covering sagging over 0.75″ deep.
And lastly, as we’ve stressed before in other articles, checking to see what others have to say about a mattress can be another good way to see whether or not it would be a good fit for your needs. Owners of memory foam and latex mattresses report satisfaction rates of 81% and 80% respectively, while traditional coil mattresses have only 62% customer satisfaction. Within each of these categories some brands are significantly higher and others are lower. Once you’ve found Black Friday mattress deals, reviews can help you determine which may offer the best potential match.
You shouldn’t have much trouble finding a good deal on a nice mattress this November. Get prepared early and stick to your budget. We’ll get the sales information up as soon as we can. Check back with WhatsTheBestBed.org soon and see what Black Friday mattress sales are popping up!