Black Friday Mattress Deals: When, What, Where
Prepare to find the best Black Friday mattress deals with our guide to 2016 holiday shopping. We have compiled a list of tips that will help you find the lowest prices and select the best mattresses so you’re ready to hit the ground running the minute the biggest sales of the year begin.
We’ll also be browsing all of the latest information to bring you the top offers from department stores, bed brands, and online retailers. From innersprings to memory foam to latex foam, browse full sale listings and editor’s picks for best Black Friday bed deals.
Make this Thanksgiving weekend a stress-free holiday and get ready to sleep better. Happy shopping!
Our Top Black Friday Mattress Sale Picks
Before we get into the details and full sale listings, here’s a quick preview of the offers that stand out to us in 2016. These beds offer an ideal mix of value, quality, and savings, with good brand reputations and reviews.
Our Favorite Black Friday Deals
|Mattress||Specs||Warranty / Returns||Reviews||Queen Price / Store|
|Amerisleep Revere Bed|
|Serta iComfort Hybrid Island Retreat II Firm Set|
|Tempur-Contour Elite Mattress|
Top Memory Foam Pick Amerisleep Revere Bed
Black Friday Mattress Shopping Tips
Buying a new bed is often stressful. Having to juggle figuring out what type you actually want to sleep on for the next several years while cutting through sales claims and seeking out the best deals is a hefty endeavor.
Mattress shopping during a busy holiday when trying to find gifts as well only adds to the noise. However, Black Friday mattress deals typically feature the best prices of the year and savings can be well worth the wait. By knowing what to look for and planning ahead, you can take a advantage of the sales and leave the stress behind. Your reward? A new bed or mattress at a great price.
Why Buy a Mattress on Black Friday?
The main reason people shop for beds on the busiest shopping day of the year is, of course, the potential for big savings. Nearly all brands and retailers have some type of promotion ranging from price discounts to free pillows or other add-ons, and often these specials do represent better values than mattress sales at other times of the year.
Several brands only offer discounts once or twice a year, often coinciding with Thanksgiving weekend. Another important point to mention is that retailers often extend specials on homegoods like mattresses throughout Black Friday and the following weekend, so even if you are busy buying gifts in the morning, you can still score a new bed later.
When to Start Looking for Black Friday Sales
Even though Thanksgiving isn’t here yet, Black Friday mattress deals have already began trickling out. Retailer websites and third party ad forums start advertising promotions one to three weeks prior, so there is no need to wait until turkey day to check the ads. Start getting a feel for what the deals are as early as possible, and make notes as you browse ads. This will help you develop a game plan well before the big day, and make comparing the values offered by different retailers easier.
It is a good idea to research the models on sale before purchasing to learn about the quality of materials used in the beds. There are many different types of mattresses comprised of a number of different foams, coils and other materials. Go over owner reviews and see what people are saying about the beds or mattresses you’re looking at.
Where to Find Black Friday Mattress Deals
There are many sources for Black Friday mattress deals, including:
- Ad Websites – Websites like BlackFriday.com and BFads.net feature ad scans from major nationwide retailers like Macy’s, Sears, Target, and Walmart. Having many of the deals in one place if very convenient and can save time. Use the internet and find deals from you couch!
- Coupon & Deal Websites – Websites like RetailMeNot.com, CouponMountain.com and DealNews.com host current promo deals and coupon codes posted by retailers and customers. Blogs like BlackFridayMattress.org also aggregate mattress deals from several sources making life easier for mattress shoppers.
- Retailer Websites – Going straight to the source is probably the most accurate way to find Black Friday mattress deals, however usually retailers don’t post their ads live on their sites until the day of the sale. Depending on the retailer, they can be difficult to locate, also.
- Newsletters – Signing up for retailers’ email newsletters can be a good way to find about upcoming deals and to get exclusive holiday offers. This is especially useful if you already have a brand in mind.
- News – Print newspapers feature Black Friday ads from many major national and local brands, usually in the Thanksgiving and Friday morning editions. Online news sites also usually offer coverage of local deals and receive retailer press releases with deal information.
Both online and local brick-and-mortar retailers participate in Black Friday sales, and online retailers also extend specials to Cyber Monday, which is the Monday following Thanksgiving. Many online mattress retailers and manufacturers offer lower prices year round than showrooms due to lower overhead costs, so comparing local to online Black Friday mattress deals can be worthwhile. Not to mention, you don’t have to leave your house to shop online.
What to Expect
Each year Black Friday mattress deals vary somewhat, but usually there a few types of promotions and discounts you can expect to see. Here are the types of sales you’ll see this year:
Big markdowns on promotional mattresses.
Sears, Mattress Firm and other retailers often feature a couple “doorbuster” deals advertised as anywhere from 50-75% off MSRP. They are often available only during the sale in limited quantities, and since the model names may be part of a one-time only deal, they can be difficult to research, compare or find reviews on. Promotional mattresses also may have less favorable warranty or return terms than regular models. Be sure to ask about specifications (such as coil count and layer materials in a spring bed, or foam density and layer thickness in a memory foam bed) and compare this to other similar models to see how they stack up.
Retailers are prohibited from discounting some brands like Tempurpedic and Serta iComfort, but may instead offer mail-in rebate offers for small savings after the sale. Some may also seek to boost later sales by offering discounts and rebates in the form of store gift cards or future discounts with Black Friday purchases.
Free boxsprings or foundations.
This was a popular incentive during Labor Day mattress sales, and early indications signal that many retailers will continue these deals for Black Friday. Boxsprings can cost anywhere from $100 to $500 purchased separately, so this can be a good value for shoppers who need a full mattress set.
Additional items retailers might include to sweeten Black Friday mattress deals include bedding offers and pillows that could add a retail value of anywhere from $50 to $300 depending on the products.
During the last mattress holiday, some retailers focused on package deals, such as discounts on multiple beds or on mattress and adjustable bed sets.
Free shipping or delivery.
Another popular value-added offer that will likely be found at many stores is free shipping and delivery, which could save buyers $100 or more. Online retailers may eliminate shipping charges or offer expedited shipping, while local stores may offer free delivery and old mattress removal (just be sure you like the new bed before you let them take the old one!).
Compare This Year’s Top Offers
In this section, we look at all of the retailers promoting holiday offers on mattresses. We stick with nationally available brands in order to provide broadly available information, sorted by online and in-store deals.
Black Friday Online Deals
Many online retailers participate in the Thanksgiving weekend holiday sales, with offers starting up to the week before and often lasting through Cyber Monday the following week.
Some like Overstock may run deals several weeks in advance. Brands like Serta and Tempurpedic tend to mirror offers of their retail partners, but others like Amerisleep, US Mattress or 1800Mattress may have exclusive deals and big discounts. Retailers like Macy’s and Walmart may also have online-only offers as well.
Online retailers tend to have a wider selection of options and sizes than physical shops, and they have the convenience factor as well, but just be sure to verify return policies. You may even find better deals online due to stiffer competition. Researching and comparison shopping may also be easier, and retailers may be more transparent.
Here are the online mattress stores and brands promoting Black Friday deals on mattresses:
Amerisleep is a brand of plant-based memory foam mattresses that sells direct online.
Online at Amerisleep.com, currently live.
- $200 off any memory foam mattress, using code BF200 at checkout. Prices will start from $549 during the sale.
- 20% off the Amerisleep Adjustable Bed, applied automatically with purchase of a mattress. Savings up to $920 off the base and mattress set.
Serta’s website usually features a few specific deals consumers can buy direct, which are largely similar to those that their retail dealers are offering.
Online at Serta.com and retailers, through 11/28.
- $200 off the Serta iComfort Foresight mattress set
- Free boxpring with iComfort and iComfort Hybrid mattress
- Up to $800 off select adjustable bases with mattress purchase (discount depends on model and size)
Tempurpedic sells direct online as well as through their retail partners, and deals are usually the same either route.
Online at Tempurpedic.com, through 11/29.
- $150-$400 instant savings off Tempurpedic mattresses. Discount varies by model and size
- $50-$200 rebate by mail with Tempur Ergo adjustable bases. Discount varies by model and size.
Walmart Black Friday sales usually feature modest discounts on their discount memory foam and innerspring lines like Spa Sensations. Most deals may be online only, but some may have store or pickup options depending on location. The Walmart Black Friday and Thanksgiving ads are to be announced.
- None featured in leaked ad.
Black Friday In-Store Deals
Traditional mattress retailers and department stores usually launch their Black Friday sales on the actual holiday or perhaps on Thanksgiving Day.
Major brands like Macy’s, Wal-Mart and Sears put newspaper ads out, and deals are often announced or leaked up to two weeks before the holidays. National chains like Mattress Firm and Sleepy’s also tend to announce ads at least one week before the holiday.
Below is the list of national retailers offering Black Friday deals on mattresses in 2016. Many will have similar or the same offer available online as well.
K-Mart is a well-known box-store retailer selling consumables, household items and many others. You can find their sales now.
In stores and online, dates unknown.
- Check back mid-November!
Macys Black Friday sale features a large selection of beds including both discount and higher-end brands. Sealy, Serta, Tempurpedic and their own Macybed are popular features. Deals online and in stores are usually the same.
In Stores 11/24-11/28 & Online now for preorder.
- $100-$250 off Doorbusters: Sealy Baybark Queen Mattress, Serta Perfect Sleeper Falmore Firm Tight Top Queen Mattress Set, Sealy Posturepedic Highland Beach Cushion Firm or Plush Queen Mattress Set
- $103 off – Beautyrest Recharge Athens Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Mattress Set
- $1799 and up – Hotel Collection by Aireloom Vitagenic Mattress Sets – select models
- $1299 and up – Stearns and Foster Estate Mattress Sets – select models
- $1074 and up – Serta iComfort and Hybrid Mattresses – select models
- $103 off – Beautyrest Recharge Athens Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Mattress Set
The Mattress Firm Black Friday sale features a moderate selection of beds mainly focused on lower-level brands. House brand Hampton & Rhodes. Deals online and in stores are usually the same.
In Stores & Online, 11/25-11/27.
- Financing specials
- 20% off accessories
- 10% off mattress sets over $799.99
- $40 off – Hampton and Rhodes HR100 6.5” Firm Queen Mattress Set
- $100 off – Hampton and Rhodes HR200 7.5” Pillowtop Queen Mattress Set
- $100 off – Hampton and Rhodes Limited Kona 13” Cushion Firm Queen Mattress Set
- $200 off – Serta Kozma 10” Memory Foam Queen Mattress Set
- $200 off – Sealy Firm Parsons 8.5” Queen Mattress Set
- Up to $300 store credit toward accessories with select Stearns and Foster or Beautyrest Black Hybrid sets
- Up to $300 off – Hampton and Rhodes HR300 9” Plush Queen Mattress Set
- Up to $300 off – Sealy Posturepedic Ashlin 9.75” Firm Queen Mattress Set
- Up to $300 off – Beautyrest Firm Queen Mattress Set (specific model unclear)
- Up to $300 off – Serta Alesbury 8” Memory Foam Queen Mattress Set
- $450 off – Queen Adjustable Base with purchase of select Stearns and Foster and Beautyrest Black mattresses
- Up to $600 savings on select Tempur-Pedic mattress sets via mail in rebate (varies by model and size)
Sears’ Black Friday mattress sale feature a mix of discount and higher-end beds from major brands including Serta, Simmons and Sealy. Deals may differ online and in stores depending on region.
In Stores and online, from November 24-27.
Friday Doorbusters Price / After 1pm: Includes the Serta Coralee Queen Set, Sealy Posturepedic Carrsville Queen Set and Sealy Posturepedic Keene Tight Top Queen Set
Featured deals at up to 50% off MSRP (note: most of the MSRP prices are not what these mattresses are actually sold at even on non-holidays).
- Sealy Posturepedic Lynnview Euro Top Queen Set
- Beautyrest Recharge Keeler Luxury Firm Queen Set
- Serta Perfect Sleeper Springview Tight Top Queen Set
- Sealy Posturepedic Mackville Euro Pillow Top Queen Set
- Beautyrest Recharge Madelyn Pillow Top Queen Set
- Serta Perfect Sleeper Glenellen Tight Top Queen Set
- Sealy Posturepedic Leola Euro Pillow Top Queen Set
- Beautyrest Recharge Ultra St. Caroline Queen Set
- Serta Perfect Sleeper Glenellen Super Pillowtop Plush Queen Set
- $100-$200 Sears card with Stearns & Foster, Optimum, Posturepedic Hybrid or Beautyrest Platinum or Platinum Hybrid sets
- Up to $200 Sears card with select Tempurpedic sets
- Up to $500 off select Beautyrest Black sets
- Boxspring and $50 Sears card with select Posturepedic, Serta Perfect Sleeper, or Beautyrest Recharge sets
- Boxspring with select iComfort and iComfort Hybrid sets
- Beautyrest Smart Motion Base – $100 to $300 off
- Sealy Reflexion Posturepedic Base – $200 to $400 off
- $50-$400 off Tempurpedic mattress and $50-$200 gift card by mail with select Tempurpedic Ergo Base and mattress sets
The holiday sale for Sleepy’s usually includes promotional mattresses and a handful of innerspring and memory foam beds from national brands. Deals are usually the same online and in stores.
In Stores and Online, 11/24 online or 11/25 in stores.
- Up to $500 off Beautyrest Black mattress sets
- Up to $400 off Tempurpedic mattress sets (discount varies by model and size)
- Up to $200 gift card with select Tempurpedic mattress and adjustable base sets (varies by model and size)
- Door Busters:
- $50 off – Hampton and Rhodes HR100 6.5” Firm Queen Mattress Set
- $50 off – Hampton and Rhodes 9” Plush Queen Mattress Set
- $300 off – Serta Sertapedic Queen Mattress Set
- $450 off – Enso Adjustable Base
Finding the Right Mattress
Don’t just buy any bed to get a good deal – make sure it is something you truly will be happy with for years to come. Compare quality and make sure the bed matches your idea of comfort.
A study conducted by RTI showed that majority of people had difficulty choosing a comfortable mattress in a showroom setting. Moral of the study? Don’t base your decision on a 10 minute test. Spend time before the sale researching and trying beds. Look online for owner reviews to see what others have to say about the brand or models you are considering.
Get into Specifics
Get educated about pros and cons of different bed types and what sets different options apart in terms of quality and benefits so you won’t get sold a dud. Ask plenty of questions – What is the foam density for memory foam layers? Is the foam natural, organic or synthetic? What is each layer made of in a latex bed? What type of coils are used and what is the count for spring beds?
The retailer should be able to provide with a full breakdown of layers and quality to enable to accurately comparison shop. Mattresses are large purchases, be inquisitive and skeptical.
Learn About Guarantees
It is also important to check on warranties and in home trials before choosing a bed. Even during Black Friday mattress deals, a company should stand firmly behind their product.
They should provide at least a 30 day period in which you can return the mattress with minimal fees. It can take a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new bed. These trial periods are the best way to get to know a bed, in your own home and for many hours.
Warranties should cover the core components of the bed with a coverage period on par with comparable options. A 20-year limited warranty is fairly standard for mid-range and higher mattresses of all types. But, you want to pay closer attention to the full-coverage terms. For spring beds, usually 5-10 years of full coverage is offered on sagging over 1.5″ deep. Latex and memory foam beds usually have 10-15 years of full coverage with higher-end brands covering sagging over 0.75″ deep.
And lastly, as we’ve stressed before in other articles, checking to see what others have to say about a mattress can be another good way to see whether or not it would be a good fit for your needs.
Owners of memory foam and latex mattresses report satisfaction rates of 81% and 80% respectively. Traditional coil mattresses have only 62% customer satisfaction. Within each of these categories some brands are significantly higher and others are lower.
Try to seek out reviews online by searching the mattress brand and model. The goal? Seeing what others say about quality, durability, value and other factors. If you can, read only verified reviews. These reviews come from verified purchasers of the product.
Once you’ve found Black Friday mattress deals, reviews can help you determine which may offer the best potential match.
You shouldn’t have much trouble finding a good deal on a nice mattress this November. Get prepared early and stick to your budget. Save this page to find the best Black Friday mattress deals and sales information as soon as we find it.