Finding a mattress that suits your sleeping habits and preferences can be a challenge. To find the best bed, you have to know what kind of materials go into making a mattress, and which design will provide you the support you need.
Finding the best bed that meets the needs of both you and your partner can be difficult, especially if you have completely different sleep styles or mattress preferences. To make your search easier, the editors at What’s The Best Bed created a list of top the mattresses to suit just about every couple there is.
In a rush? You can skip to the parts that interest you most:
- Effects of Sleep Deprivation
- How a Mattress Can Affect Your Sleep
- What to Look for When Choosing a Mattress for Couples
- Best Mattress for Couples
- Best Mattress for Couples with Kids
- Best Mattress for a Restless Couple
- Best Mattress for Couples of Different Weights
- Best Mattress for Heavy Couples
Effects of Sleep Deprivation
It’s safe to assume most people know not getting enough sleep can have serious consequences. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute explains the effects sleep can have on your mental state are stronger than you may think. Good sleep is critical to many aspects that affect your day-to-day.
A lack of sleep can:
- Interfere with learning, memory, and motivation
- Slow problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Reduce creativity
- Disrupt emotional stability
- Lead to depression and suicidal thoughts
A lack of sleep can affect the way your brain works. It can disrupt your career, affect relationships, and even shake your mental stability.
NHLBI also explains that sleep deprivation can lead to:
- An increased risk in heart disease and high blood pressure
- Kidney disease
- Diabetes and obesity
- Imbalance of hormones
- Weakening of the immune system
- Interference with growth and development
How a Mattress Can Affect Your Sleep
A study done by the National Sleep Foundation shows that 92% of people believe that the quality of a mattress has a strong connection to their quality of sleep. An investment in a quality mattress that suits your body, your health, and your sleeping habits could do more to improve your health than almost any other purchase.
The first step toward better sleep is to understand what you should be looking for in a mattress.
What to Look for When Picking the Best Mattress for Couples
Picking a mattress for yourself is complicated. Picking a mattress for yourself and your partner takes doubles the complication.
Different Levels of Firmness
Firmness is usually measured on a scale from 1 (softest) to 10 (firmest). When it comes to choosing the right firmness for you and your partner, you may, unfortunately, have different preferences. To accommodate couples with different preferences, some mattress manufacturers offer an option of split firmness. Meaning, your mattress can have a different level of firmness on each side.
Different Kinds of Feel
“Feel” refers to whether a mattress contours to your body or bounces back.
Different mattress types and materials have different feels.
Motion isolation matters most for couples. You don’t want to be awakened every time your partner rolls over.
A mattress with high motion isolation will allow your partner to toss and turn in their sleep whilst letting you rest properly.
Sleeping with a partner is warmer than sleeping alone. If sleeping hot is an issue for you, temperature control is an important consideration. Each material and design offers a different level of temperature regulation.
The Best Mattress for Couples – The Amerisleep AS3
The Amerisleep AS3 is their most versatile and popular mattress. It comes with three well-crafted layers, each one designed to complement one another, making the mattress a very comfortable option.
The AS3’s layers:
- A Celliant® cover is infused with 13 thermo-reactive minerals, these minerals convert the body heat you naturally emit while you sleep into infrared light. Infrared light is then absorbed back into the body, improving local blood flow and cooling the sleeper.
- Their first layer is made from their unique Bio-Pur® foam; this plant-based foam is five times more breathable than traditional memory foam. The first layer works in conjunction with the cover above to create an overall cool sleeping environment.
- The second layer is where the HIVE® technology is found. HIVE® technology offers zoned support for your feet, hips, back, shoulders, and neck while you sleep.
- Additionally, it’s egg-crate design allows for air to flow easily out of the mattress.
- The base of the mattress is made of Bio-Core® material. The core of the mattress provides the mattress with stability and durability.
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress comes in a variety of sizes, starting from Twin going to California King. The AS3 Queen size mattress gives both of you enough space, without the feeling of sleeping alone.
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress comes in medium firmness. If you and your partner have different preferences in regards to the feel of the mattress, Amerisleep offers a Split-King. The Split-King model is made with two TwinXL mattresses set side by side, equaling the dimensions of a Standard King; this allows couples to choose their own mattress model for their side of the bed.
The plant-based foam in the Amerisleep AS3 mattress feels plusher than traditional memory foam, meaning it will contour to your body’s joints and have a softer feel.
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress minimizes motion transfer, preventing you from waking up to your partner’s tossing and turning.
The AS3’s HIVE® layer works great in allowing good airflow while the Celliant® cover focuses on providing a great cooling effect.
Overall, the Amerisleep AS3 mattress has the best temperature control when compared to the rest of the mattresses on our list.
Sleep Trial & Warranty Information
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 20-year warranty.
The AS3 mattress comes in these prices:
Double – $1049
Queen – $1199
King – $1499
The Best Mattress for Couples Who Share the Bed with Kids – The Sapira
When you share the bed with your children, it makes your search a bit more complicated. In addition to finding the most comfortable feeling mattress, it’s also important to make sure the mattress is hypoallergenic and safe for kids.
Let’s look at the layers:
- The Sapira hybrid mattress is covered with a Seamless Iconic Four-Stripe Cover, designed to provide breathability.
- The next layer is 1.5-inches of the cooling Avena® foam; this layer works with the cover to provide a cooling effect to the sleeper.
- Next, is 1.5 inches of memory foam, which provides gentle contouring.
- The fourth layer of the mattress is 1-inch thick core support foam, this layer works as a transition between the foams above and the coils below.
- The fifth layer is made from 6-inch tall pocketed coils, providing the mattress with good pressure point relief.
- The final layer is another inch of the core support foam. It provides the mattress with durability.
The Sapira mattress ranges from Twin to California King sizes— couples sharing the bed with their kids should not choose a size smaller than Queen.
The Sapira mattress is medium-firm.
Being a hybrid, the Sapira mattress provides great contouring and pressure point relief. The top layer of memory foam provides comfort and softness, and the bottom layer of pocketed springs provides pressure relief and support.
Another advantage of the Sapira mattress is its reinforced edge support. With more of you in bed together, some of you will be close to an edge. You want the edge of your bed to maintain its shape so every sleeper can be comfortable.
Due to the individually wrapped pocket coils, the Sapira mattress has impressive motion isolation.
Hybrid mattresses perform well when it comes to temperature control.
Sleep Trial & Warranty Information
You can try the Sapira mattress for 100 nights to decide if it fits your needs or not. Then, you get a 10 year warranty.
The Sapira mattress comes in these prices:
Queen – $1595
King – $1795
California King – $1795
The Best Mattress for a Restless Couple – TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze
Lying next to somebody who turns and tosses can make sleep difficult and put a strain not only on your health, but your relationship too. That’s why Tempur-Pedic came up with a design of the TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze mattress.
The memory foam works great in reducing motion transfer. And you may choose to have this mattress split into two, so you can use it with an adjustable bed frame and move each side independently.
Here are the TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze mattress’ layers:
- The lightweight cover of this mattress is infused with Tempur-Pedic’s cooling technology.
- The second layer is the extra-soft TEMPUR-ES® material. It draws excess heat away from your body and provides a cooling effect.
- The third layer of this mattress is the ultra-breathable TEMPUR-Climate™ foam. It distributes your weight evenly across the mattress and provides support.
- The last layer of the mattress is a supportive and breathable base.
The TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze mattress comes in sizes from Twin to California King. For those sleeping with a restless partner, we recommend going for King size or California King size mattress. Their mattresses are also available in split-sizing.
The TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze mattress falls on a softer side of the spectrum; this mattress is made from high-quality memory foam with great support and pressure point relief.
The high-quality memory foam provides gentle contouring and support.
The design of the TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze mattress ensures great motion isolation. The memory foam absorbs all of the movement that may be produced by your partner, leaving you sound asleep.
The TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze mattress doesn’t sleep as cool as innerspring mattresses, but the high-quality memory foam is still superior to ordinary memory foam.
Sleep Trial & Warranty Information
At a slightly shorter sleep trial, Tempur-Pedic offers 90 days to test your new mattress. After the sleep trial, your Tempur-Pedic is backed by a 10-year warranty.
TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze mattresses are on the pricier side in comparison to other choices on this list.
Queen – $3799
King – $4499
California King – $4499
The Best Mattress for Couples of Different Weights – Sealy Posturepedic Premium™
Finding a mattress that can support both lightweight and heavyweight people at the same time can be tough. But here is a hybrid mattress that works to serve both of you – the Sealy Posturepedic Premium™ mattress.
Additionally, it comes in split-sizing, compatible with most adjustable bases.
Here are its layers:
- The SupremeLoft™ cover wicks away moisture for more optimal temperature control.
- The second layer is 3 inches of SealySupport™ foam, offering support and gentle contouring.
- The third layer of the mattress is 0.5-inch of gel memory foam, which provides some cooling.
- The fourth layer is the pocketed coil system that provides pressure point relief and breathability.
- The final layer of the mattress delivers stability and durability.
The Sealy Posturepedic Premium™ mattress comes in sizes from varying Twin XL to California King. But, seeing as your weight differs from your partner’s, the most optimal choices are either Queen size or King size.
The Sealy Posturepedic Premium™ mattress comes in three levels of firmness— firm, plush, and ultra-plush.
The Sealy Posturepedic Premium™ is a hybrid mattress; the memory foam in this mattress delivers body-conforming comfort while the coil system provides full body support.
The Sealy Posturepedic Premium™ mattress offers very good motion isolation. The memory foam layers absorb the movement, and the coils provide zoned support.
Temperature control of the Sealy Posturepedic Premium™ mattress is relatively good. Some reviews state it does retain some heat, but not enough to ruin a night’s sleep.
Queen – $1999
King – $2499
Split Queen – $1999
Split King – $ 3948
The Best Mattress for Heavy Couples – The WinkBed Plus
A mattress for a heavy couple must provide great temperature control and pressure point relief. Additionally, the design has to offer enough support and be durable. With these crucial specifications in mind, we present you with the WinkBed Plus mattress.
Here are its layers:
- The first layer of the WinkBed Plus mattress is high-density foam that provides support and gentle contouring.
- The second layer is 7-zoned latex support layer. Its open-cell design disperses heat away from the body and offers great response.
- Next, comes another layer of high-density foam.
- The fourth layer of the mattress is 3-zoned support pocketed coil system. It provides great pressure point relief, breathability, and support.
The WinkBed Plus mattress comes in sizes varying from Twin to California King. The optimal size for a heavy couple is either King or California King. The extra space will help to distribute the weight.
The WinkBed Plus mattress is rated as 8 out of 10. Anything less would not provide enough support.
The WinkBed Plus mattress is a hybrid, made from gel foam, latex, and pocketed coils. Its layers work great to support the hips and the midsection while providing comfort and breathability. The reinforced edge support also allows easier access to the bed. It won’t send you to the floor as you sit on the edge.
The WinkBed Plus mattress is designed to withstand heavy weight for a long time so it won’t break down as fast as other mattresses might.
The WinkBed Plus mattress is not optimized for motion isolation.
The WinkBed Plus has a unique option – a base called CoolControl™ system; this technology allows the sleepers to control the temperature of the mattress by remote control. However, this luxury option must be ordered separately at an extra cost of $2,200. Even without it, the original WinkBed Plus mattress provides reasonable temperature control.
Sleep Trial & Warranty Information
WinkBed offers a 101-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
Queen – $1299
King – $1499
California King – $1549
Overview of The Best Mattress for Couples
We understand how difficult it is to find a mattress to suit not only your individual needs but your partner’s as well. We hope our guide has helped you the most comfortable mattress for both you and your partner. If you’re still undecided, feel free to check out our other guides to find the best mattress for you.